jdenparis

 Welcome to jdenparis.com.  I'm jd, and I just graduated from college.  For one year before med school, I'll be working and living in Paris, and traveling the world with my job.  Below are my stories, photos, and videos.  Enjoy!

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

je suis enchanter

Well, I made it. Luckily there were no holdups at the airline - we divided up the weight in my bags perfectly. British Airways was even kind enough to put my baby guitar in a standup closet for the flight! What a delight :) The food on the airline was FANTASTIC. I had the steak, which came with mashed potatoes and asparagus, a salad with fresh mozz balls, a small slice of brie with grapes, a big slice of cheesecake, and deux tasses du vin rouge (2 glasses of red wine).

I sat next to two young parisians, one a student at la sorbonne (the university situated next to my office), and the other a basketball coach of young people (from what I understood). They were very kind, although their frequent bathroom trips were a bit of a hassle. I managed to watch Iron Man on the screens the airlines gives out (some sort of Archos PMP) and matt was right, it was quite enjoyable (although the ending kinda sucked). Since it was on my own personal device, I was able to rewind every time I fell asleep!

Once landed, I took a quick taxi to the office here where I waited for about a half hour before the first employee, Jay (an American), arrived. While waiting, I spoke with a Derek Jeter looking Frenchman who cleaned the bus stop. What care he took with his job! There's nothing like it in New York (outside of the bullpen). When I told him this, he quipped, "VIVE LA PARIS!" Once things settled down in the office and after meeting with Jose (my boss) for about an hour, Isabelle gave me a tour of the four offices The Union runs on Bd. Saint-Michel. There is a VERY WIDE range of people working (young, old, american, french, indian, mid eastern, african, and everything in between) and I think I'm really going to enjoy it.

Malheureusement (unfortunately), my temporary apartment does not have internet! A total let down. Also, I need a French credit card and bank acct to get a phone (read: iPhone), but I think I'm going to buy it once I get those things set up. It's very comparably priced to blackberrys here, and would obviously fill the gaping void left by my internet-less flat. In any case, my connection will be intermittent, so don't be offended if I don't reply to emails or post too often for now :) I am receiving a standard issue HP teeny tiny very portable laptop tomorrow (booo no macbook air :( ) hopefully with an American keyboard, so maybe I'll be able to get connected demain (tomorrow).

C'est tout pour maintenant, a bientot,

1 comment:

Camp Unger said...

can u get me a job as a bus stop washer?